top of page

Assistance Available for Residents in DeKalb and Cherokee Co. for Heating Through December, LIHEAP

Taniesa L. Sullivan | The Weekly Ledger News | WBRC

CHEROKEE/ DEKALB COUNTY - If you need any help heating your home this winter, applications for the Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program or LIHEAP are now open.

Officials with the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA) say the Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama will assume emergency responsibility for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) in the area for the month of December.

The state of Alabama has millions of dollars to help people in need. It’s going to cost a lot more to heat your home this winter, and the state has nearly $98 million to help you stay warm.

The Energy Information Administration said you can expect to pay about 27% more to heat your home this year compared to last year.

ADECA says residents will apply directly with the agency for assistance with their energy bills through the month of December.

ADECA administers the LIHEAP program at the state level.

ADECA is working to determine how area residents will apply for aid in the long-term and will have more information on that soon.

The LIHEAP program provides critical aid to individuals and families in need, particularly during cold winters, like December when home heating bills are higher. Their priority is to swiftly resume assistance in the area counties.

And for some, that could mean the difference between staying warm, or paying for other essentials like food or medicine.

That’s where LIHEAP steps in.

The program has helped low-income families pay their home heating and cooling bills for more than 40 years. It also helps households make minor energy-related home repairs, and purchase home heating and cooling equipment. To be eligible, you must live in Alabama and meet certain income requirements. LIHEAP covers one bill during the heating season which runs through May, no matter the status of your bill.

LIHEAP is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

To apply, visit this website.

18 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page